Thursday, April 12, 2012

Oh-The-Liver Part 2

It has taken me a little while to get this post up...actually, I forgot that I never wrote it...whatever.
Day two of the incredible bender started off light an easy with a Saison Dupont, fresh from Joel's new keg. the Saison, was extremely crisp and refreshing...I can't wait to hit this keg again, especially as the weather warms up...very nice beer.

Next up was DHF 120 Minute IPA. Okay, the day started off like a jackhammer...I think 120 is somewhere in the range of 16%-18%...IIRC, we split this one two ways. Its not for the faint of heart. Strong, almost syrupy when poured, the beer was hot, but drinkable. I think I am going to keep my bottle in the cellar for another year or so, but this is definitely worth a try. That is assuming you aren't trying to buy it in GA...
 
 Third beer of the morning...err, day...was The Bruery Hottenroth Berliner Weisse. The Hottenroth was a bit different than anything I've had...it was almost like a champagne, but with a more sour flavor. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it is a brew I would pick up frequently...assuming I was able to pick it up frequently. Not sure the background on it, but NC Ryan brought it down, so it is likely pretty rare.
 So we finally cranked it up a notch on our fourth beer...Kuhnhenn Barrel Aged Fourth Demenia (4D). 4D was HUGE...big bourbon flavor, coffee, vanilla, molasses...tons of stuff going on here. This was definitely a sipper, but was certainly in my top 5 of the weekend. Easily one of the smoothest drinking high ABV (4D is 13.5%) beers I have had. I could write a ton about this one, but for the sake of brevity, just understand that I scored it very high on Ba.
The 4D carried us to my (pretty sure everybody else kept going, but I had to bail) final big beer of the weekend...Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Rum Barrel Aged (pretty sure this was from last year's batch - bottled in mid-2011 and came from my father-in-law as an X-mas gift). When we opened this, the aroma was really strong and very boozy. I thought this was going to be way too hot to drink, but we poured it and were pleasantly surprised to find that the flavor didn't match the aroma at all. Again, another super smooth drinker for the ABV and considering it was barrel aged. Given the chance, I would certainly pick this up again, and not even worry about cellaring it.
Overall, we had an awesome two days drinking some of the finest beers in the world...thanks again to Tim and Ryan for bringing some killer shit and also to Joel for hosting and allowing us to raid his cellar for some outstanding beers. We will do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment