Monday, April 9, 2012

Beer Tourism Raleigh and Wilmington, North Carolina

As usual, I am traveling for work. Also, as usual, project budgets don't allow for an easy flight...so, a trip to Wilmington, NC netted a flight to RDU and a two-hour drive to Wilmington. I can't complain much, as the flight allowed me to hit the triangle's best beer store - Sam's Quik Shop. Thanks to NC Ryan I didn't drive right past this place. The exterior screams 70s backwoods gas station; however, when you walk into this place, it immediately hits that you are in a world class beer store. Sam's has everything I could imagine that was available in NC. There was an incredible selection of Euros, locals (Olde Hickory, Foothills, etc), and various US crafts (Ballast Point, New Holland, Great Lakes, etc) that aren't available in GA. So, I decided to go with NC Ryan's recommendations (2012 Olde Hickory Imperial Stout and 2011 Olde Hickory Irish Walker), and finishing off my purchase with a Ballast Point Sculpin (see Beer Tourism - Orange County, CA) for hotel consumption. I probably spent 45 minutes in the store between talking to staff and browsing the selection of beers and glassware. The prices are decent and the selection is incredible...I would highly recommend stopping by here if you are in the Durham, NC area.

After a painstaking NCDENR file review in Raleigh, I rolled down to Wilmington, NC. I think this is a college town, but I'm not positive...there are a ton of fixies and just about everybody has a soul patch, or lip piercing, or sleeve tattoo...either way, not a terrible little place. Some library research on my rural property capped off the day's work...on to the bar...

I started my evening with a draught Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck at Cape Fear Wine and Beer. This was a pretty cool place...lots of crazy beers on draught and in bottles. The staff was pretty cool and the Rabid Duck was delicious (I gave this a 4.0 on Ba). I chose the Rabid Duck (despite the fact that it is distributed in GA) because there wasn't much on tap that we don't have in GA...either way, I feel justified...it was a better choice than the other options. If you are in Wilmington, go here...you aren't going to find much better (there were several 4-packs of DFH Immort Ale available). I would have stuck around for another, but I was getting hungry...

After my quick stop at Cape Fear, I walked just another block over and stopped at Front Street Brewery for dinner and a beer. While I am always open to recommendations, this one wasn't so great...maybe it was because I was coming off of a delicious beer, or maybe it is because I am a jerk, but Front Street was weak. The Port City IPA was a let down, and the food was fair at best...bummer. The thing that sucks the most about these kind of really local places is that, more often than not, the bartender doesn't know a thing about the beers that are served...huge let down, based on the simple fact that the bartender was more interested in pouring Yeager shots than understanding the beer...AT A BREWERY. Oh well, I don't want to come off as too much of a tool, as the bartender was just a kid.

...at least I have the Sculpin chilling...damn, the Sculpin is so good when it is fresh...

No comments:

Post a Comment