Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Its been a couple days, since I have posted so I figured I would attempt to out-do all of my previous posts by blogging about weasels shitting . No really...its only Tuesday and this is where my week is headed...
Mikkeller's Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is my favorite stout (and in my all time top 5 beers). This is likely the fourth or fifth bottle that I have had, and considering I have never seen it on a shelf in GA, that says a ton about my ambition (or maybe it says a ton about Whitey and Joel - who have each picked up bottles of this for me in the Carolinas...either way). So my understanding of the story here is that Mikkeller made a base beer (Beer Geek Breakfast - a delicious imperial stout) and decided to make several variations on it (Beer Hop Breakfast - the hoppy version, Raunch Geek Breakfast - the version with bacon, etc.)...Weasel is one of the variation and happens to include some rare Asian coffee beans somewhere along the brewing cycle.

Now, these "magical" beans, if you will, are supposedly the most expensive coffee beans in the world (according to wikisomething, about $600/pound) and are referred to as Kopi Luwak or civet coffee. This reference is to the Asian Palm Civet (a fox- or weasel-like animal) who roams around Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, etc. and eats coffee berries. The civet digests the "meat" of the berries and the "bean" is left in the civet's stomach/digestive tract to be worked over by various acids and enzymes...eventually, the civet shits...pardon me, defecates out the beans. Poor people then collect the beans, clean and dry them, and then profit. Apparently the beans make a smooth and rich coffee that isn't as bitter as coffee made with beans that don't come out of a weasel's ass. And here, I would have assumed just the opposite...anyway...the beer is brewed with these beans...and it is DELICIOUS!

Weasel pours dark and thick with just the tiniest bit of carbonation. The beer can be had cool-ish or at room temp, but as it warms it only gets better. I like to chill it for just a bit, pour less than half and let the rest warm up while I sip on the first pour. The flavors are exactly what should be expected from a good imperial stout, but with the extra coffee kick and a ton of sweetness on the finish. The booze isn't heavily pronounced, but its there...as is to be expected from an almost 11% beer. I'm not sure how else to describe this to you...maybe its worth it to find a bottle, drink it, and then tell me what you think...

ohtheguilt Ba score = 5.0 out of 5.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment